ISO 45001/OHSAS 18001 - Occupational Health & Safety
We offer both certification and training for ISO 45001/OHSAS 18001 - Occupational Health & Safety. Find an upcoming course in your country or request for a certification quote.
Health and safety at work affects all businesses. Implementing an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system is now a legal requirement in many countries. Additionally, companies are increasingly required to report on their health and safety performance. This makes it vital to demonstrate that your organization delivers on its policy commitments.
Independent assessment and certification of your occupational health and safety management system by DNV GL proves that you have a compliant system in place. Certification to an internationally recognized management system standard demonstrates that you are working to provide safe and healthy workplaces by preventing work-related injury and ill-health and that you are proactively working to improve your OH&S performance.
Up until March 2018, OHSAS 18001 has been the internationally recognized voluntary standard for OH&S. With the publication of ISO 45001 on March 12 2018, the official status of OHSAS 18001:2007 is “withdrawn”. There will be a three-year migration period, and OHSAS 18001 will be replaced by the ISO 45001 the end of that period, in March 2021. Companies certified to OHSAS 18001 have to migrate to the new standard within these three years.
What are the services available in Singapore?
- Safety Health Management System (SHMS) Audit
- NEA Approved Safety Audit for Hazardous Substances
- WSH Performance Award (WSHPA)
- Safety and Health Recognition for Projects (SHARP)
- Risk Management / bizSAFE Audit
What is the Audit Process like?
1) Application [Quote Request Form (QRF)]
Applicant organization must submit QRF to request for DNVGL Business Assurance Singapore for auditing service. Information to be completed and provided by the applicant organization as follow:
- a) The desired scope of the audit;
- b) Relevant details of the applicant organization, including its name and the address(es) of its site(s), its processes and operations, human and technical resources (total manpower), functions, relationships and any relevant legal obligations;
- c) Identification of outsourced processes used by the organization that will affect conformity to requirements;
- d) The standards or other requirements for which the applicant organization is seeking auditing services;
2) Application Review
Upon receiving the application from the applicant organization, DNVGL Business Assurance Singapore will conduct a review of the application and supplementary information for auditing to ensure that
- a) Any known differences in understanding between DNVGL Business Assurance Singapore and the applicant organization is resolved;
- b) DNVGL Business Assurance Singapore has the competence and ability to perform the audit activities;
- c) The site(s) of the applicant organization’s operations, time required to complete audits and any other points influencing the auditing activities are taken into account (language, safety conditions, threats to impartiality, etc.).
After reviewing the application, DNVGL Business Assurance Singapore will inform the applicant organization’s authorized representative formally through email, whether the application has been accepted or declined. Where the application is declined, the reasons for declining the application shall be documented and made clear to the client.
If the application is accepted, DNVGL Business Assurance Singapore will determine the number of auditors for the audit, the competences needed to be included in the audit team and the audit duration (based on Annex 2 to Appendix 1 of CT 17).
3) Determining Audit Time
The minimum time for conducting an audit will be determined in compliance to the requirements stipulated in below table as per Annex 2 to Appendix 1 of CT 17 for SHMS audit and Annex 2 to Appendix 2 of CT17 for RM audit.
4) Audit Plan
An audit plan is established by Designated Auditors for each audit to provide the basis for agreement regarding the conduct and scheduling of the audit activities. The audit plan will be communicated, and the dates of the audit agreed upon, in advance, with the client.
5) On-site Audit
- The audit team will conduct the on-site audit including:
- Opening meeting
- Familiarization tour of the workplace
- Obtaining and verifying information through
- Record checks
- Physical conditions tours, and
- Verification interviews with process owners and workers.
- Closing meeting
6) Audit Report and Testimony
A written report will be provided to the client for each audit conducted. Testimony of audit will not be issued to the client for each audit conducted.
7) Request for additional information & Complaint/FeedbackRequest for additional information may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Complaint or feedback may be directed to www.dnvgl.com
An acknowledgement of receipt of the request, complaint or feedback will be sent to the sender. Additional information requested may be approval at DNV GL's discretion.
For complaints, DNV GL Business Assurance Singapore will evaluate the complaint and take necessary action(s) to address the complaint. DNV GL Business Assurance Singapore will feedback to the complainant on the action(s) taken.
Policy on Impartiality
The DNVGL Business Assurance Singapore is committed to ensuring impartiality in all auditing activities undertaken by its auditors and shall not allow commercial, financial and other pressures to compromise impartiality.
What is the ISO 45001 standard?
ISO 45001 is based on OHSAS 18001 and other recognized OH&S standards and conventions. It applies the ISO High Level Structure (HLS), which defines the structure for all ISO standards. The new standard contains some significant changes from OHSAS 18001.
Applying a new standard for occupational health and safety within the ISO framework will be a great advantage for companies already certified to other ISO standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, making it easier to integrate the management systems. Like all ISO standards, ISO 45001 applies the ISO High Level Structure.
ISO 45001 is now the internationally accepted standard for OH&S management systems. It is applicable to any type of organization – large or small – within any business sector.
Like OHSAS 18001, it provides a framework based on the well-established management principles of Plan-Do-Check-Act. It requires the organization to identify the hazards and assess the occupational health and safety risks related to its activities and services, determine the necessary controls and to set clear objectives and targets to improve on its OH&S performance.
The standard requires an organization to identify and comply with the applicable OH&S legal - and other requirements. However, ISO 45001 also has some significant changes from OHSAS 18001.
Why is certification good for my business?
There are several benefits of applying ISO 45001, but the most significant are tangible and demonstrable improvements in OH&S performance and a greater level of control in the area of legal compliance.
ISO 45001 certification enables your organization to:
- Establish and continually improve an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to personnel and other interested parties who could be exposed to OH&S hazards associated with your activities or services.
- Work systematically to achieve improvements in occupational health and safety performance and prevent (re)occurrence of accidents and incidents.
- Assure its conformance with its stated OH&S policy and demonstrate such conformance to others.
- Continually comply with applicable OH&S legal requirements.
Where do I go from here?
Whether you are already certified to OHSAS 18001 and wish to migrate, or are looking for a new certification of your OH&S management system, DNV GL can support you. We have been an accredited third party certification body for OHSAS 18001 for decades, and our experts are fully equipped to guide you from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001.
We can also provide relevant training for your occupational health and safety system, and have IRCA accredited courses for ISO 45001. Learn more about our OH&S training offering here.