Health and safety at work affects all businesses. Implementing an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system is now a legal requirement in many countries. Additionally, companies are increasingly required to report on their health and safety performance. This makes it vital to demonstrate that your organization delivers on its policy commitments.
Independent assessment and certification of your occupational health and safety management system by DNV GL proves that you have a compliant system in place. An OHSAS 18001 certification demonstrates that you adhere to high standards with regards to health and safety, thus enabling you to enhance your reputation and brand.
What is the OHSAS 18001 standard?
- OHSAS 18001 is an internationally accepted standard for OH&S management systems. It is applicable to any type of organization – large or small – within any business sector.
- It provides a framework based on the well-established management principles of Plan-Do-Check-Act. It requires the organization to identify the hazards and assess the occupational health and safety risks related to its activities and services, determine the necessary controls and to set clear objectives and targets to improve on its OH&S performance.
- OHSAS 18001 requires an organization to identify and comply with the applicable OH&S legal - and other requirements.
The OHSAS 18001 standard is designed to be compatible and harmonized with other international management system standards, especially ISO 14001 for environmental management systems and ISO 9001 for quality management systems. Therefore, OHSAS 18001 can be integrated with other existing management systems and processes.
Why is certification good for my business?
There are several benefits of applying OHSAS 18001, but the most significant are tangible and demonstrable improvements in OH&S performance and a greater level of control in the area of legal compliance.
The OHSAS 18001 standard enables your organization to:
- Establish and continually improve an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to personnel and other interested parties who could be exposed to OH&S hazards associated with your activities or services.
- Work systematically to achieve improvements in occupational health and safety performance and prevent (re)occurrence of accidents and incidents.
- Assure its conformance with its stated OH&S policy and demonstrate such conformance to others.
- Continually comply with applicable OH&S legal requirements.
Where do I go from here?
For third party certification, you need to implement an effective management system complying with the requirements of the standard.We are an accredited third party certification body and provide relevant training and certification of your occupational health and safety system. See how you can get started on the road to certification.